Saturday, December 31, 2011

Yummy Pancakes with fruit and ... Squash?!?

Yes you read correctly, this morning I made pancakes with squash in it. And not just any squash... baby food squash!

It started when I decided to add some of my frozen cherries and blackberries to the batter. I was thinking about how pancakes smothered in syrup are not the healthiest way to start the day, especially if you are feeding them to a 5 year old and 11 month old boy. then I began to search the refrigerator for other yummy things to add...

Apple sauce, great!

Then I began to get a little crazy, "How would they taste if I added a pureed vegetable?" I asked my self, when I remembered the 60+ jars of baby food I had that the baby would no longer allow me to feed him (he wants to feed himself, so I give him finger foods now for every meal). Baby food was a great idea because it is already pureed for me and contains no additives, just fruit or veggies and water.

I added the squash to my batter and to take away the little bit of squash flavor I added a few drops of Vanilla and PRESTO!
Yummy Pancakes that had about 2 servings of fruit and veggies in them.

And best of all my boys LOVED THEM!!!!

If you want to use a vegetable with a stronger flavor use a little less veggie and a little more vanilla flavor or fruits.

Also if you want to reduce the amount of syrup you use crush up some berries and add just a little water and syrup! Frozen fruit works great for this and makes for a quick way to make your breakfast a little more nutritious.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...